Our objectives are to learn how to "work" the water to best meet individual fitness needs. Water Exercise is an effective path to functionality. The water's buoyancy and the three dimensional resistance allows people to move in ways that can help prepare the body for activities of daily life. So our aim is to strengthen the lower extremities and the trunk and back muscles by using the resistance of the water to improve muscular strength and endurance. In addition, we incorporate the inherit properties of the principles of Tai Chi Chuan to enhance, develop and expand the pliability of the mind-body connection.
Key Points in learning to work the water:
- Work in chest-high water.
- Land first on heels, not toes. Walking on toes can cause spasms. Water aids in releasing and lengthening muscles. This can reduce the condition in which certain muscles are continuously contracted, causing stiffness and tightness.
- Move slowly and gently. Do not force any movement.
- Stretch to 70 percent of your normal range of motion for the first time you perform a movement, and then slowly increase the stretch on each subsequent time.
Before Entering the Water:
- Wash yourself with the water--arms, legs, stomach.
- Please enter the water carefully.
After Entering the Water:
WARM UP STARTING POSITION:
- Walk Forward--opposite Arm to Leg
- Walk Backward--opposite Arm to Leg
- Jump Forward--more like hop, slide and jump
- Jump Backward--more like hop, slide and skip
if you are uncomfortable "Jumping" please be your own guide.
- Walking Forward with Arms Up then walk backwards with arms down
- Reverse Above: arms up while walking backward then arms down walking forward
- Hopping Side to Side
TRIPOD WALKIN - SIDE WALKING:
- Arms up with loose fists--open legs, - your arms are together when your legs are closed. Your arms are open when your legs are closed.
- Hands in water--back of palm together, finger tips point down. legs closed, hands apart, only hip width. Legs are hip width, back of palms are together.
- Yang Style Wave Hands Like Clouds: Wave hello and open the door; wave goodbye and close the door.
- Opening and closing Hands: Bring arms in front of chest. Breathing in, open hands then breathing out, push hands toward each other.
NORMAL FORWARD STEP UP WALKING:
- Sword fingers-step forward with right heel while right, sword fingers hand shoot forward and exhale with "S". On inhale bring sword fingers hand back to side while , stepping up with left leg, ending with legs together and ready to step up with left heel while sword fingers of left hand shoot forward and exhale with "S". On inhale bring sword fingers hand back to side while stepping up with right leg, ending with legs together and ready to step up with right heel. (Same arm as leg, then opposite arm to leg)
- Brush knee and Brush
- Opening Movement--With palms facing in, lift both arms and lower both arms and step up. Heel first, left foot then right foot pushing hans forward.
- Sun Style Single Whip: step right and forward with right heel, shifting weight onto right leg, push palms forward. Turning palms to face forward and extend arms outwards, watching left hand.
- Fists: open and Close--clench and unclench your hands, making and relaxing fists as you walk around.
- Shakes: give you feet and hands a gentle shake.
- Sun Style Wave Hands Like Clouds-- right foot in line with the left, stepping out with the right foot, move the right hand upwards, and the left hand downwards. Bring the left foot in, and turn the upper body and arms to the right. Move the right hand down and the left hand up. Like a windshield wiper.
- Stir to ripple the water.
- FOR ALL THE ABOVE CIRCLE WALKING: you can--
- a. with hands underwater
- b. with hands skimming the water
- c. with hands out of the water